Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Taco kisses for you!

One of the great things about baking bread is the realization of how few ingredients you really need to make anything bread-like, including bagels, muffins, cakes, pitas... and tortillas.

Yesterday, I had a real craving for Mexican food. We had refried beans, avocado, brown rice, tomatoes... everything but the tortillas. I was going to put them on the shopping list, but then inspiration struck. Here's 10 tortillas from scratch in 1 hour. I began with this recipe, but added whole wheat for more flavor.

Ingredients
  • 1.5 c all purpose flour
  • 1.5 c whole wheat flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 c water
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil (I used safflower)
Directions
  1. In a medium bowl, sift together flours, baking powder and salt.
  2. Add water and oil and stir to mix. (I used a wooden spoon at first, then my hands as it stiffened up.)
  3. Roll into a ball and let it rest for 15 minutes.
  4. Roll the ball into a tube, then divide into 10 pieces.
  5. Flour a work surface and a rolling pin, then roll each piece as flat as you can.
    1. If you really want them circular, use a soup bowl with a nice, straight edge as a cookie-cutter. Er, tortilla-cutter. (I chose the more expedient "rustic" look.)
  6. Place a skillet or griddle on the stove over medium heat. Give it a light coating of oil (I used olive oil spray). Drop each tortilla onto the griddle, and cook until a little brown on one side, then flip to make sure it cooks through.
Notes:
  1. No matter how flat I rolled the tortillas, they came out a bit too thick. I suspect it's the large amount of baking powder.
  2. Whole wheat flour is sticky, and thus a pain in the butt when rolling, but the result was worth it.
  3. Smaller is better -- I should have divided it into 14 as the recipe writer suggested.
  4. Our griddle is hard to get to, so I used a 10" fry pan. Bad idea -- the tortillas should lay flat, and some were so oddly shaped they didn't quite fit in the pan properly. Use a griddle.
Photos:
All the ingredients mixed up. (Note a little bit of Wry Wheat in the background!)

Rolling out the tortillas.

Frying them up.

Another well-executed surprise for Mrs. Rouftop's lunch break!

No comments:

Website Counter